Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Paper Rose Flower Tutorial!!!

Okay..as promised on my Wednesday evening Unity Hip Hop Post, I have a tutorial to share with you on how to make my version of Tim Holtz's Grunge Rose Flower! So, let's get started...

Paper Rose Flower Tutorial


Supplies Used:  Quilling Tool, Helmar's 450 Quick Dry Adhesive, 1 1/2" Circle Scallop Punch from Paper Shapers (EK Success), and  Five Petal Flower Punch by Marvy Uchida.  Not shown in photo, but you will need a pair of scissors, a pencil, and Designer Paper (this tutorial is showing Webster's "Lullably Lane - The Arrival), and/or cardstock!  


Step 1: Punch out 3/ea of the 6-petal flowers from your paper.  Punch out 1/ea of the circle scallop flower from your paper.

Step 2: Using your scissors, cut out these specific petals from each 6-petal punched flower.  Don't worry if your flowers are not cut out perfectly..after all natural flowers are not perfect!  So, don't stress on it!


Step 3: Use Helmar 450 Quick Dry to adhere all these pieces. 
To start, take one of the flowers that has two petals cut out.  Layering one petal onto another petal, glue together to create one 3-petal flower (left). 

Now, take the other flower that has one petal cut out.  Layering one petal onto another petal, glue together to create one 4-petal flower (middle). 

Lastly, take remaining flower that has one petal cut out. Layering just slightly onto one of the petals, glue together to create one 5-petal flower (right).


Step 4: Take the fat part of your quilling tool, or any other object that might resemble a quilling tool, and fold under all the petals of all your flower pieces.  You can do this by hand as well, or scrunch with your fingers in addition.  Just throwing out suggestions, so you can form your rose the way you wish!!


Step 5: Time to layer your flowers inside of each other, using Helmar 450 Quick Dry Adhesive!
Start with the 5-petal, then layer the 4-petal, and lastly, the 3-petal flower into each other, using Helmar each time!!  It dries quickly, so once that happens...you can gently squeeze, scrunch, and manipulate your flower to your liking!  Set this aside now. 

Step 6: Take your circle scallop punched flower and turn over to the backside.  Freehand drawing time. Start from the outter side of the punch, and draw a circular motion, as shown in the photo below.  Take your scissors and cut what you just penciled in.  Lastly, take the quilling tool and insert into the punch as shown below.


Step 7:  Start turning your flower with your quilling tool.  Now for this specific flower center, I only wanted the "scalloped" part of that punch to be used, so I stopped right rolling the flower at the point where there is no more scallop showing.  Using your scissors, now cut at this section, and adhere that last strip of paper to the rolled scallop.  Once dried, gently remove the quilling tool!

Step 8: Your center flower should now look like this below.  Again, scrunch and manipulate to your liking!  You can make this center tight or let it go a little looser.


Step 9: Take your Helmar 450 Quick Dry and put a dab of that glue into your main flower.  Next, insert the smaller center scalloped flower! Voila..ta da!!  What fun and a lovely flower!!


Here is the card that I made  for Unity's Hip Hop Thursday!!



In the next photo below, there is another close up of the same type of flower I made.  This time I just "doubled" all the layers, so you have a 6-layer flower.  Then I used a regular circle punch (no scallops), and made the same type of center.  Lastly, I took my Helmar V2 Vellum spray and sprayed that flower and gently sprinkled Martha Stewart fine glitter.  In a matter of minutes the glitter adheres and you can respray with the V2 to make sure the glitter does not fall off!  Also, this flower was spritzed with Glimmer Mist prior to punching the flowers to create this glittery rose flower!


Here's another card that I made showcasing the awesome ippity stamps and this Glittery Rose Paper Flower!! 

That's it for today!  Sorry for the long and heavy photo load.  I hope you enjoy my Paper Rose Flower Tutorial!! I'd love to hear what you think! Or, if you create one, I'd love to see how yours turns out!  Thanks to Tim Holtz for inspiring me on his grunge flower..I have yet to make one of those (only because I hid that grunge paper somewhere)..but I will be making one as soon as I find it in my craft stash!!

Hugs & Smiles,
  

6 comments:

Kay D said...

Those are such beautiful flowers! Thank you for the tutorial; I can't wait to give it a try!

StampinCathy said...

The cards and those flowers are just awesome. That for such an easy to follow tutorial.

Angie Blom said...

Awesome tutorial Karen.. I think I need to do some of these.

Karen AKA Soccerboyzmom said...

fantastic tutorial Misti, can't wait to try this.

Just Me said...

Beautiful job on the roses. That card is stunning!

cristinoel said...

Such a smart kid you are!